Granite City Comic Con has been running for four years now and this year’s event will be a pretty familiar affair.
Held once again at the DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen Treetops, the two day event has a lot to offer fans.
GCCC co-organiser, Chris Robertson can’t wait for you all to see their new attractions and has said they are building on last year’s success by going bigger and bolder.
Chris said: “The really gratifying thing about how things have developed for GCCC over the last few years is seeing how communities of cosplayers, creatives and just like-minded folk have sprang up across the city and shire.
“We’re continuing to improve on what we’ve done in the past, bringing something unique to city that everyone can get behind and enjoy.
“This year will be a visual spectacular of everything geeky!”
Guests are one of the biggest draw to conventions and GCCC have some exciting artists, actors/actresses and writers on offer:
- Steve Blum: voice actor including; Cowboy Bebop, Naruto, Star Wars Rebels, The Legend of Korra, Wolverine and the X-Men, Transformers: Prime, Ultimate Spider-Man etc.
- Mary McGlynn: voice over actress, writer, singer and director including; Steven Universe, Cowboy Bebop, Sailor Moon Crystal, Ghost in the Shell, Bleach, Hitman, Star Wars Rebels etc.
- John Wagner: writer and producer known for; creating Dredd and Strontium Dog.
- Glenn Fabry: cover artist, best known for; Preacher and Hellblazer as well as covers for DC, Vertigo and 2000AD.
- Ryan Brown: digital painter, known for his covers for 2000AD, Image, Dark Horse and IDW.
- Michael Henbury: actor, best known for his roles as Taboo the Ewok in Return of the Jedi, and as Gringotts Goblin in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
- Gerald Home: actor, known for Tessek (Squid Head) and the Mon Calamari Officer in Star Wars: Return of the Jedi.
- Peter Roy: actor in many fan favourites like; Star Wars: A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Dr. Strangelove, Blake’s 7, Doctor Who, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Skyfall.
Co-organiser Chris said: “With guests we try and choose people that we think will have the broadest appeal to the most amount of people, so we approached Steve Blum and Mary McGlynn for that reason – they’re both incredibly prolific actors that have starred in such a variety of roles. Also, we’re massive Star Wars fans, so you probably always bet on a Star Wars guest.
“Personally I’m most looking forward Steve Blum – I’m a massive fan of his work as Wolverine and Zeb in Star Wars: Rebels. I’m also really looking forward to meeting Glenn Fabry, who is a really amazing artist that I’ve loved for years.”
There will also be plenty of vendors to splash your cash on and you can check out the full list and floor plan, here.
There are plenty of attractions for you to check out as well, with panels from all the guests, cosplay activities (hosted by Cos-Con), KITT from Knight Rider, Retro Computer Museum, life-drawing and entertainment from Doctor Sketchy, the WrestleZone competing on both days) and lots more.
If you can’t make it this weekend, don’t worry! Chris and the team at GCCC will be working on a programme of smaller events throughout the year leading up to GCCC 2018, so stay tuned to their social media and website for details.
Granite City Comic Con takes place this weekend, Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st May, at the DoubleTree by Hilton Aberdeen Treetops. Tickets can be bought here, but Saturday is now sold out. Prices vary: Kids under 12 are £5-£10, and adults tickets range from £15-£25.