Dundee’s anime and art convention is back this weekend for another day filled with comics, anime, games, cosplay and more.
The student run convention will be maintaining the same traditions that have made DeeCon what it is, like cosplay contests, showcasing local talent and bringing like minded people together to enjoy a fun, family day.
Head student organiser, Margaret McCabe said: “This year we have made an effort to make sure there’s something for everyone and extended our scope to workshops, more industry talks, more stalls, more games and game play-testing and further promotion than before.
“We even have buskers and a bouncy castle to keep younger children happy!”
Deecon started as a fundraiser for the Animation degree show at at Duncan of Jordanstone College of Art and Design, Dundee. It still is to this day run by students with the help of DUSA The Union.
It is held on all 5 floors of the University of Dundee’s Student Union and this year also taking place in the Queen Mother Building – all found around the Campus Green.
Between 2000-4000 fans are expected to turn up, making this a very large event for the student team.
Maragret said: “The management changes every year, but the motivation of every fourth year group is the fact that our degree show hangs in the balance, combined with trying our best to live up to the reputation of Deecon.
“Its such a big thing to organise and we don’t want anything to go wrong.”
- Comic Workshop – Dundee Comics Creative Space and Ink Pot comics studio will run a workshop on how to make an 8-page zine-style comic. Free tickets here.
- Animation Workshop – Fraser McLean and Steve McDermott teach you about the process of animation, the skills required and get an insight into their own work on films. Free tickets here.
- Assistant editor of Marvel Comics, Heather Antos doing a Q&A session
- Comic book artist, John Higgins (Watchmen, Judge Dredd)
- John Ferguson of Saltire Comics will be chatting about the Mythology of Superheroes
- Phillip Vaughan and Chris Murray will be discussing the comics offerings available at Dundee University.
- Gillian Easson talking about her role as co-founder of Creative Dundee
- ElectriKid, will host a talk during the day on Cosplay.
- Pocket Sized Hands will be talking about how you can make your way into the gaming industry.
- PopDundee‘s Ashling Larkin and Vicky Stephen will be chatting about the beginnings of the enterprise and how other artists can apply this experience to their own artistic careers.
- Andrew Partridge, talking about Japanese animation industry and what’s currently going on.
First place will win a photo shoot with Acoustica Photography that is worth up to £90. Other prizes include vouchers and Dee-con goodies.
Sponsors for this year’s event is Rock’n’roll Tattoo and Piercing Dundee.
Dee-Con is held on the University of Dundee campus at The Student Union, the Chaplaincy, and the Queen Mother Building on Saturday April 8. Tickets for the event (£4.11 – £16.59) and after party can be bought here. Doors open at 11:30am – 7pm. The After-Party will run from 9pm – 3am.